In this section, we’re going to take you through the best practices for Magento SEO in order to gain a deeper understanding. But first, let’s identify what Magento is.
Understanding Magento SEO & Best Practices
This exceptional platform offers a number of powerful marketing & management tools which is why many eCommerce companies are drawn to the platform in the first place. Most functions are simple enough to establish as Magento is intended to be used by people who don’t have any experience in website development.
However, custom functionality and optimisation often require a much more complex understanding of programming. In addition to that, Magento is among the most ‘search engine friendly’ eCommerce platforms available on the market at the moment. That said, there are still a few known issues that can be fixed in order to improve your website’s SEO.
1. Always Utilise Headers & Title Tags
2. Simplify and Optimise Your Product Page URLS
For example: www.yourwebsitehere.com/this-is-the-slug/could-it-be-shorter/you-tell-me. A page URL that has not been optimized tends to be a little bit all over the place with more information than is required.
3. Never Use Duplicate Content or Use Canonical Tagging
4. Make Use of 'No Follow' Linking
5. Carefully Optimise the Homepage Title of Your Website
Content > Configuration > Design > HTML Head > Default Title.
6. Never Rely on Default Descriptions
These can be changed under:
7. Include Images & Set Your Sitemap Priorities
Stores > Configuration > Catalog > XML Sitemap.